India witnessed 2,224 deals worth $115 bn in 2021: Report

In 2021, the total deal value increased by $37 billion year on year. 499 deals worth $42.9 billion were signed in the M&A segment, while 1,624 deals worth $48.2 billion were signed in the private equity segment

   

According to the Annual Grant Thornton Bharat Dealtracker, India reported a record 2,224 deals totaling $115 billion in 2021.

In 2021, the total deal value increased by $37 billion year on year. 499 deals worth $42.9 billion were signed in the M&A segment, while 1,624 deals worth $48.2 billion were signed in the private equity segment.

In addition, 101 deals totaling $23.9 billion were signed in the initial public offering and qualified institutional placements segments.

“The year 2021 saw 14 deals valued at over a billion dollars each, 15 deals valued between $500 million and $999 million and 135 deals valued between $100 million and $499 million. While these deals accounted for only 8 per cent of the total deal volumes, they constituted 80 per cent of values,” Grant Thornton said in its report.

The domestic segment accounted for 76 per cent of total deals, with the cross-border segment accounting for the remaining 24 per cent.

“In the cross-border segment, 48 per cent were inbound and 53 per cent outbound. Inbound deal values were led by investments coming from Europe, while Asian countries garnered majority outbound values,” the report said.

Sector-wise, banking and financial services, followed by IT & ITes industry, energy, and manufacturing sectors witnessed high-value transactions in 2021, it added.

On the private equity segment, the report said: “Despite the stress around Covid-19 and other geopolitical tensions continuing from 2020, 2021 witnessed one-and-a-half times growth in investment volumes compared to 2020, attracting a considerable portion of funding from overseas investors.”