Income from manufacturing rises to Rs 27,756 crore in 2017-18: survey

The contribution of agriculture and manufacturing sectors continues to decline in Delhi’s gross state value added (GSVA), with services sector’s […]

   

The contribution of agriculture and manufacturing sectors continues to decline in Delhi’s gross state value added (GSVA), with services sector’s contribution to the income of the city standing at more than 80 per cent, according to the Economic Survey 2017-18 released on Monday.As per GSVA estimates at current prices, income from manufacturing has increased from Rs 18,907 crore in 2011-12 to Rs 27, 756 crore in 2017-18, the survey tabled in the Delhi Assembly stated.“The percentage contribution of manufacturing to GSVA has decreased from 6.24 per cent in 2011-12 to 4.74 per cent in 2017-18.“During the same period, the contribution of secondary sector to the total GSVA of Delhi has also decreased from 13.09 per cent in 2011-12 to 12.04 per cent in 2017-18,” it said.According to the survey, the contribution of agriculture sector has reduced in Delhi due to rapid urbanisation and the growth of trade and industry sector in Delhi.“Around 25 per cent of the total area of Delhi, as per 2011 census, was rural and the remaining 75 per cent urban. The number of rural villages in Delhi reduced from 214 in 1981 to 112 in 2011,” it stated.The report said that the area under floriculture has increased from 5,479 hectares in 2005-06 to 12,638 hectares during 2015-16, and attributed the rise to the government’s encouragement to farmers for taking up the commercial horticulture and other high value added agriculture activities.It said that fishing as a livelihood activity too has been suffering as the result of rapid development and the resultant non-availability of water bodies suitable for fish culture. The total fish production for the year 2002-03 was 2.30 thousand tonnes, reducing to 0.74 thousand tonnes in 2016-17. Fish seed production too has been showing a downward trend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *